This document was prepared on behalf of the National Treasury
Employees Union Chapter 280 by Chapter Senior Vice-President J. William
Hirzy, Ph.D. For more information, please call Dr. Hirzy at 202-260-4683. His
E-mail address is email@example.com
END NOTE LITERATURE CITATIONS
- Applying the NAEP code of ethics to the Environmental Protection Agency and
the fluoride in drinking water standard. Carton, R.J. and Hirzy, J.W.
Proceedings of the 23rd Ann. Conf. of the National Association of
Environmental Professionals. 20-24 June, 1998. GEN 51-61. On-line at URL
- Neurotoxicity of sodium fluoride in rats. Mullenix, P.J., Denbesten, P.K.,
Schunior, A. and Kernan, W.J. Neurotoxicology and Teratology 17 169-177 (1995)
- Influence of chronic fluorosis on membrane lipids in rat brain. Z.Z. Guan,
Y.N. Wang, K.Q. Xiao, D.Y. Dai, Y.H. Chen, J.L. Liu, P. Sindelar and G.
Dallner, Neurotoxicology and Teratology 20 537-542 (1998).
- Chronic administration of aluminum-fluoride or sodium-fluoride to rats in
drinking water: alterations in neuronal and cerebrovascular integrity.
Varner, J.A., Jensen, K.F., Horvath, W. And Isaacson, R.L. Brain Research 784
- Effect of high fluoride water supply on children's intelligence. Zhao,
L.B., Liang, G.H., Zhang, D.N., and Wu, X.R. Fluoride 29 190-192 (1996)
- Effect of fluoride exposure on intelligence in children. Li, X.S., Zhi,
J.L., and Gao, R.O. Fluoride 28 (1995).
- Effect of fluoride on the physiology of the pineal gland. Luke, J.A.
Caries Research 28 204 (1994).
- Newburgh-Kingston caries-fluorine study XIII. Pediatric findings after
ten years. Schlesinger, E.R., Overton, D.E., Chase, H.C., and Cantwell, K.T.
JADA 52 296-306 (1956).
- Memorandum dated May 1, 1990. Subject: Fluoride Conference to Review the
NTP Draft Fluoride Report; From: Wm. L. Marcus, Senior Science Advisor ODW;
To: Alan B. Hais, Acting Director Criteria & Standards Division ODW.
- Toxicology and carcinogenesis studies of sodium fluoride in F344/N rats
and B6C3F1 mice. NTP Report No. 393 (1991).
- Chromosome aberrations, sister chromatid exchanges, unscheduled DNA
synthesis and morphological neoplastic transformation in Syrian hamster
embryo cells. Tsutsui et al. Cancer Research 44 938-941 (1984).
- Cytotoxicity, chromosome aberrations and unscheduled DNA synthesis in
cultured human diploid fibroblasts. Tsutsui et al. Mutation Research 139
- Positive mouse lymphoma assay with and without S-9 activation; positive
sister chromatid exchange in Chinese hamster ovary cells with and without S-9
activation; positive chromosome aberration without S-9 activation. Toxicology
and carcinogenesis studies of sodium fluoride in F344/N rats and B6C3F1 mice.
NTP Report No. 393 (1991).
- An increase in the number of Down's syndrome babies born to younger
mothers in cities following fluoridation. Science and Public Policy 12 36-46
- A brief report on the association of drinking water fluoridation and the
incidence of osteosarcoma among young males. Cohn, P.D. New Jersey Department
of Health (1992).
- Surveillance, epidemiology and end results (SEER) program. National
Cancer Institute in Review of fluoride benefits and risks. Department of
Health and Human Services. F1-F7 (1991).
- New evidence on fluoridation. Diesendorf, M., Colquhoun, J., Spittle,
B.J., Everingham, D.N., and Clutterbuck, F.W. Australian and New Zealand J.
Public Health. 21 187-190 (1997).
- Regional variation in the incidence of hip fracture: U.S. white women
aged 65 years and older. Jacobsen, S.J., Goldberg, J., Miles, ,T.P. et al.
JAMA 264 500-502 (1990)
- Hip fracture and fluoridation in Utah's elderly population. Danielson,
C., Lyon, J.L., Egger, M., and Goodenough, G.K. JAMA 268 746-748 (1992).
- The association between water fluoridation and hip fracture among white
women and men aged 65 years and older: a national ecological study. Jacobsen,
S.J., Goldberg, J., Cooper, C. and Lockwood, S.A. Ann. Epidemiology 2 617-626
- Fluorine concentration is drinking water and fractures in the elderly
[letter]. Jacqmin-Gadda, H., Commenges, D. and Dartigues, J.F. JAMA 273
- Water fluoridation and hip fracture [letter]. Cooper, C., Wickham,
C.A.C., Barker, D.J.R. and Jacobson, S.J. JAMA 266 513-514 (1991).
- Water fluoridation and tooth decay: Results from the 1986-1987 national
survey of U.S. school children. Yiamouyannis, J. Fluoride 23 55-67 (1990).
- Recommendations for fluoride use in children. Kumar, J.V. and Green, E.L.
New York State Dent. J. (1998) 40-47.
- Why I changed my mind about water fluoridation. Colquhoun, J.
Perspectives in Biol. And Medicine 41 1-16 (1997).
- A re-examination of the pre-eruptive and post-eruptive mechanism of the
anti-caries effects of fluoride: is there any anti-caries benefit from
swallowing fluoride? Limeback, H. Community Dent. Oral Epidemiology 27 62-71
- Fluoride supplements for young children: an analysis of the literature
focussing on benefits and risks. Riordan, P.J. Community Dent. Oral
Epidemiology 27 72-83 (1999).
- Prevention and reversal of dental caries: role of low level fluoride.
Featherstone, J.D. Community Dent. Oral Epidemiology 27 31-40 (1999).
- Appendix H. Review of fluoride benefits and risks. Department of Health
and Human Services. H1-H6 (1991).
- Some young children get too much fluoride. Parker-Pope, T. Wall Street
Journal Dec. 21, 1998.
- Letter from Rebecca Hanmer, Deputy Assistant Administrator for Water, to
Leslie Russell re: EPA view on use of by-product fluosilicic (sic) acid as
low cost source of fluoride to water authorities. March 30, 1983.
OTHER CITATIONS (This short list does not include the entire literature on
- Exposure to high fluoride concentrations in drinking water is associated
with decreased birth rates. Freni, S.C. J. Toxicol. Environ. Health 42
- Ameliorative effects of reduced food-borne fluoride on reproduction in
silver foxes. Eckerlin, R.H., Maylin, G.A., Krook, L., and Carmichael, D.T.
Cornell Vet. 78 75-91 (1988).
- Milk production of cows fed fluoride contaminated commercial feed.
Eckerlin, R.H., Maylin, G.A., and Krook, L. Cornell Vet. 76 403-404 (1986).
- Maternal-fetal transfer of fluoride in pregnant women. Calders, R.,
Chavine, J., Fermanian, J., Tortrat, D., and Laurent, A.M. Biol. Neonate 54
- Effects of fluoride on screech owl reproduction: teratological evaluation,
growth, and blood chemistry in hatchlings. Hoffman, D.J., Pattee, O.H., and
Wiemeyer, S.N. Toxicol. Lett. 26 19-24 (1985).
- Fluoride intoxication in dairy calves. Maylin, G.A., Eckerlin, R.H., and
Krook, L. Cornell Vet. 77 84-98 (1987).
- Fluoride inhibition of protein synthesis. Holland, R.I. Cell Biol. Int.
Rep. 3 701-705 (1979).
- An unexpectedly strong hydrogen bond: ab initio calculations and
spectroscopic studies of amide-fluoride systems. Emsley, J., Jones, D.J.,
Miller, J.M., Overill, R.E. and Waddilove, R.A. Journal of the American Chemical Society 103
- The effect of sodium fluoride on the growth and differentiation of human
fetal osteoblasts. Song, X.D., Zhang, W.Z., Li, L.Y., Pang, Z.L., and Tan,
Y.B. Fluoride 21 149-158 (1988).
- Modulation of phosphoinositide hydrolysis by NaF and aluminum in rat
cortical slices. Jope, R.S. J. Neurochem. 51 1731-1736 (1988).
- The crystal structure of fluoride-inhibited cytochrome c peroxidase.
Edwards, S.L., Poulos, T.L., Kraut, J. J. Biol. Chem. 259 12984-12988 (1984).
- Intracellular fluoride alters the kinetic properties of calcium currents
facilitating the investigation of synaptic events in hippocampal neurons.
Kay, A.R., Miles, R., and Wong, R.K.S. J. Neuroscience 6 2915-2920 (1986).
- Fluoride intoxication: a clinical-hygienic study with a review of the
literature and some experimental investigations. Roholm, K. H.K. Lewis Ltd
- Toxin-induced blood vessel inclusions caused by the chronic administration
of aluminum and sodium fluoride and their implications for dementia.
Isaacson, R.L., Varner, J.A., and Jensen, K. F. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 825
- Allergy and hypersensitivity to fluoride. Spittle, B. Fluoride 26 267-273
Last modified: 2 June 1999